Research in engineering design and product development

Research groups:

   
  • Product/Service-Systems
  • Conceptualization
  • Robust Design
  • Product Architecture

  • The research conducted at the Section of Engineering Design and Product Development aims at improving efficiency and quality in terms of how product development work is carried out in an industrial context. This is achieved through analysis of industrial development work and by developing and improving systematic methods that support design professionals and development groups. The research is organized around four areas: conceptualization, product-service systems, robust design and platform-based product development.
    Conceptualization covers the initial phases of product development and is typically allocated 20% of the total time and resource budget of the development project. However, the decisions taken during conceptualization determine the majority of the remaining 80% of the costs and core properties related to the project. The research aims at streamlining the development work and increasing the likelihood of developing useful solutions by focusing on four areas: bio-inspired design (BID)/integrated material design, staging of conceptualization, user perception of aesthetics, and mechatronic design/design for interaction.

    The awareness of product-service systems is increasing, as the maturity level for many products requires new ways of offering functional benefits. Another reason is the focus on eco-efficiency and recyclability, which makes it more attractive for companies to consider new forms of product ownership.

    Robust design has been shown to be an underdeveloped skill in industry and education, where engineers have paid little consideration to the unwanted variation during product development. This variation may have disastrous consequences, causing product recalls, customer dissatisfaction, long and costly ramp-up times, high scrap rates, etc.

    The objective of platform-based product development is to reduce development times for new product variants and keep production costs low. This is achieved through standardization of large parts of the product, while not restricting profiling product parameters.

     

    Biomimetisk design